California workplace injuries are sometimes the result of electrical shock. Workers who get shocked might develop post-electric shock syndrome. The syndrome doesn’t happen often but can occur when a person receives a high-voltage shock. The severity of post-electric shock syndrome depends on the intensity of the shock and the victim’s health.
Post-electric shock syndrome facts
Post-electric shock syndrome is a collection of symptoms electric shock survivors might experience. Workplace injuries that lead to post-electric shock syndrome can cause a range of symptoms.
The symptoms include headache, memory loss, confusion and difficulty concentrating. Mental health issues such as anxiety and depression can develop as well. People with post-electric shock syndrome can also experience dizziness, insomnia, irritability, seizures and fatigue.
It’s unclear why some electric shock survivors develop post-electric shock syndrome. Some believe if the shock damages the nervous system and brain, then that causes the syndrome. It all depends on the severity of the electric shock. The damage is often temporary, but it can also become permanent.
Treatment for post-electric shock syndrome involves managing the symptoms. Symptoms such as anxiety and depression are often treated with antidepressants or anxiolytics. Anticonvulsants are often chosen to treat seizures. If the symptoms are severe, long-term hospitalization may become necessary.
Preventing post-electric shock syndrome
Avoiding electric shock is the only way to prevent post-electric shock syndrome. However, depending on the job, coming in contact with high-voltage electricity is unavoidable. In this case, safety measures become extremely important.
Workers in contact with high-voltage electricity should wear protective gear and follow safety procedures. Workers should also receive training on working in an environment containing high-voltage electricity.